Monday, April 27, 2009

Wonderous finds for bony behinds

So I saw these beautiful chair pads on SouleMama's blog on Friday and knew I couldn't not do this this weekend.

(Why yes I do have a Bachelor's in English, why do you ask?)

Amanda was inspired by the twin forces of the book, "Patchwork Style" and a lovely bunch of Anna Maria Horner's Good Folks fabric, though the actual product was not a pure project from the book but rather a blend of several techniques.


As I recently learned the secret to log-cabin patterns (by looking up instructions online, particularly this of all things -- scroll down to the drawing,) I've been anxious to do a log cabin type pattern yet not really keen on doing another quilt at the moment. Not a project that big. I've been wanting something smaller, and this fit the bill nicely.

Everyone knows the first step to any good project is to take very exact measurements.

1

Next I gathered my supplies and meticulously ordered them around my workspace.

2

And then, (all kidding aside,) I poured a lovely glass of cheap Spanish wine, tuned my Netflix play-it-now to Micheal Palin's Pole to Pole, and got to work.

3

Augmenting fabric when needed -- perfection is never my goal.

4

6

I actually went ahead and made two. The first's filling was a haphazard combination of leftover batting supplemented with some really poofy strange fabric I've never found a good use for. The second has real batting, GREEN batting, in both the color and carbon-footprint sense of the word.

7

Look carefully, it really is a lovely pale green. Quilter's Dream is now making a batting made entirely out of plastic bottles. They even sell it in bulk at Fabric Depot, which is great for me since I like to have bits of batting around for impulsive projects like this.

Once the top-batting-bottom sandwich was made I sewed the binding by hand.

5

And that's basically it.

8

I didn't end up putting ties on, mostly because that sort of limits the usage of the things. (Although I suppose one could tie them in bows when they aren't in use...ah well it's not too late.) Anyway. No ties, just floating little cushions which, like Amanda's, are not terribly luxurious (don't want to sit ALL day) but do provide a bit of comfort and color. My art-stools are fairly comfy as they are, (they're a sort of Chinese-y curved wood design which I highly recommend if you are in the market for things to sit on), so these translate nicely to my workstations as well. I'd like to make about ten more.

9

And of course, why not.

bzzt

No comments: