Monday, April 6, 2009

My First Solipsism!

My First Solipsism!

Sometimes I play that my room just goes poof
when I walk out through the door, cuz I'm kind of a goof.
It's a game that I play called solipsism, see?
Where nothing exists, except for just one thing, ME.
I pretend that I'm dreaming, that nothing is real,
except what I see and except what I feel.
I'm all alone, though there's human bodies,
so I pretend they're robots, or brain dead zombies.
I pretend that I live in an old pickle jar,
that I'm just a brain in a vat out on mars.

Some people will tell you solipsism's bad.
But it's just pretend, no need to be mad.
It's fun to imagine these things, it is true
but it's nice to come back, where here's me and there's you.
And us two together, then we can pretend,
and a monad together, our game can begin:
and then we'll be the world, and the others are fakes,
then they're all pod people, they're all mistakes.
Back to back, you and me, we'll take on the world,
a monad of two, just a boy and a girl.

So we can imagine a world of just two
A world that's empty except for me and you.
And then, hey why not, the whole family can play,
We'll invite them all over, what do you say?
We'll call all of our neighbors, call our church or our town
invite all the people nearby to come 'round
And then the game's different, but it's bigger is all.
It's like our town is magic, of if we've got the gall,
we'll say that there's monsters beyond our town hall
that it's risk to go farther than the borderline wall.
We can pretend that the Earth's on the brink of collapse
or that there is no future, that we're gonna be last.
Or we'll make believe that the Earth is quite young,
created last Tuesday, with a bang like a gun.
We can all play together that way just for fun
With the whole Earth as monad, a big spinning One.

But then we remember, how vast is the sky?
How stars, planets and galaxies circle up high
That there are more worlds than there's grass blades in sod
And the one that we know is just one little clod.
So then our game grows and it fills up all space,
it spans billions of light years, a humongous place.
But to think that there's only or could be just one,
is to make it a monad and forget where we're from.

So down here on Earth in our town on our street,
in our house, in our room with our shoes on our feet,
we can start to remember just how many things
are stuffed in this world till it bursts at the seams.
And as fun to pretend that our room disappears
when we shut up our eyes and plug up our ears,
but it's nice to remember the whole world is real,
that we're just a part, that there's mountains and fields.
The world is stupendously wonderfully huge,
though from far away, it's just a dot that looks blue.

So now you can play this fantastic game
where you're all that there is and "the world" is you name.
That's solipsism for you, in a nutshell or three,
though there's only one shell in that game and it's ME.

No comments: